Clogged Pipes? What To Do And When To Replace
As one of the original plumbing companies in Bowie & Crofton, we have been expertly serving the plumbing needs of this community since 1971. If you need to install a new sink and pipes, or maybe add that disposal you’ve been wanting, we’re here to help. Maybe you’ve been having trouble with clogs lately and you’re wondering what you can do, or if you should just start anew?
Manufactured chemical products that unclog drains can be hard on your pipes over time. If you haven’t tried it already, give this simple homemade solution a go.
- Pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain
- Very slowly pour 1 cup of vinegar down the drain
- Let sit for about 5 minutes. It will bubble and fizz as part of the chemical reaction.
- Slowly pour a gallon of boiling water down the drain. The baking soda and vinegar should have loosened the clog, and the boiling water should flush it down.
For extra tough clogs, use a plunger after step 4 and repeat the process if the boiling water does not drain in a timely manner.
If plunging and the baking soda/vinegar solution do not work, try cleaning the P-trap.
- Make sure there is no water in the sink
- Place a pan or small bucket underneath the P-trap to catch any trapped water
- Carefully unscrew the slip nut between the P-trap and the trap arm, then unscrew the nut at the bottom of the waste tee
- Clean any clogs present in the P-trap
- If no clogs are in the P-trap, remove the trap arm and clean it
- Run a long, narrow tool, like a screwdriver, around the inside of the pipe that is attached to the wall (aka: the drain stub-out) and pull out any debris that may have collected in this opening
- If you still don’t find the clogging culprit, try snaking the drain stub-out
- Replace all parts and flush with hot water
If you’ve had chronic drainage issues and are thinking about installing a new sink and plumbing, give us a call today. Upgrading these kitchen essentials might be just what you need to save time and money in the long run, and it will give you peace of mind knowing that your system is working effectively. Don’t let a clog drain you! Contact us now and receive $20 off your first plumbing service call!