A How To Guide For Choosing Tile For Your Bathroom Renovation
When you set out to pick tile for your bathroom renovation, you may quickly find yourself overwhelmed with all the choices. There are so many colors, sizes, and materials available for bathroom tile and what you decide depends entirely on what you want. If you aren’t an interior designer, you may need a little guidance in how to choose tiles for your new bathroom. At Cardigan Kitchens and Baths, we understand how difficult this choice can be, so we’ve put together an easy guide to help you get started.
How To Choose Tile Color
Color can impact the mood, style, and even the visual size of a room. Here’s a simple way to determine what colors you should consider:
● Light Colors: Light colors will open up a space and make a room feel larger.
● Dark Colors: Dark colors add warmth and depth to a room.
● Bright Colors: Bright colors can make a room feel lively and add character.
● Neutral Colors: Neutral colors help you easily change out your accessories.
● Blended Colors: Blended colors like striated or striped tiles can help mask imperfections and dirt.
How To Choose Tile Size
Tile size really impacts the visual size of the room. Large format tiles can make a medium to large sized room feel even larger. However, in a small space, they can make the room seem smaller. They are also better in spaces that have no awkward angles or irregular measurements because the more you have to cut them, the less positive impact they have on the space. Rectangular tiles like long planks or subway tiles can also lengthen the look of a room. These can be used in any sized room to maximize the visual space, just be careful of the layout. Finally, small tiles can add depth, design elements, or visual interest to a space. They are great when you want to highlight a feature or add a burst of color. Remember, you can always do a mix of tile sizes for a really strong impact.
How To Choose Tile Material
Once you have an idea of the color and size, you can decide on your tile material. Here’s some of the most popular tile options to consider:
● Ceramic: Ceramic tiles are low cost, easy to maintain, versatile, and come in a full variety of colors and sizes. However, they are not the most durable tile option available.
● Porcelain: Porcelain tiles offer the same benefits of ceramic tiles, but are more durable and can last longer. However, they are also more expensive.
● Natural Stone: Natural stone tiles are incredibly beautiful and offer interesting variation. They are not as easy to maintain or as durable as other tiles.
● Glass: Glass tiles can add color and textural interest to your bathroom. They are not recommended for flooring.
● Cement: Cement tiles like encaustic tiles are extremely durable and come in a variety of patterns and designs. They are heavy and require specific substructure for installation.
These are the basic things you will have to consider when deciding on your floor tile. If you still have a tough time deciding what you want, talk to our design experts at Cardigan Kitchen and Bath. We know exactly what tiles you should consider for your personal style, your space, and your lifestyle. Call us today to learn more!